Friday, July 19, 2013

Crochet Puppets are quite possibly the best thing ever.

Lily Bean

I had this great idea earlier in the summer. Crochet. Puppets. 
Despite my ever growing crochet skills, I hadn't quite made the brain jump to make this idea work out. I tried about five different times.
Too big. 
Too small.
Mouth is too weird. 
And so on. Picky, picky.
Finally, I figured it out. A big part of that was due to this wonderful pattern from Stitch 11. I searched for hours trying to find a pattern just like this one. So then I tried it and that huge help to me led to these adorable little friends!

PUPPETS!!!!

I kind of took the snake puppet idea and ran with it. These two puppets were for some of my friends of the shorter nature. A pair of 6 year old twins who were very particular when placing their orders. Twin #1 requested a blue and green puppet with an orange hat. Twin#2 requested a pink and purple puppet with yellow hair. I think I did pretty good. Aside from the basic idea of Stitch 11's pattern, the rest of the puppet such as the hat, eyes, hair and tongues were all my own. I even added eyelashes to the girl puppet! 

I wanted to also try playing around with crochet letters, and I had a lot of fun doing that part! 

crocheted letters of their first names... cute!

The first letter of their name on their puppets was the icing on the cake for the twins. I was so cool for doing that part. There are some great letter tutorials out there and pattern diagrams, if you are interested. Each letter took less than 5 minutes to make and look how personalized of a detail it is! 

Lily and Sage were my product testers. About thirty seconds in to testing, I got the approval. I had to immediately promise Lily that I would make her a girl puppet. And a dragon. And a fish, because Sage likes fish. 

Sage muffin

I have since started on Lily's list of puppets and I'll post more pictures of those later! I think these are my new favorite thing to crochet. I know, I know, I always say that. But look at these happy faces! There was no counting stitches, no worrying about perfection. These puppets are more charming because they aren't perfect. I think we all need a little less perfect in our life.


Now Lily is wanting a puppet show. She wants a stage and chairs and of course, an audience! So if you randomly get invited to a puppet show and the invitation is in crayon, you'll know where it came from! 

If you are interested in a pattern for the hat, eyes, hair, etc. please let me know. I can write those up if someone needs them! Also, for yarn buffs: I used Lily  Sugar and Creme 100% cotton yarn (you can guess why I picked this yarn I bet). These puppets can go on adventures and get wet and go in the wash. I wanted them played with after all! The colors I used were: Hot Blue, Hot Green, Grape, Hot Orange, Hot Pink, and Sunshine. Lot's of hotness up in here...

I loved making these and I am so proud of how they turned out! I just can't seem to stay away from making toys. Although, husbandy face even mentioned that he wants one of these puppets. HA!

If you use my puppet idea, please make sure to thank Stitch 11 for her pattern and also to link back here to my blog! I would love to see how you come up with some adornments and puppet friends! 

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! I have been wanting to make more of these!! I designed the snake to fit an adult hand and I later created a lion puppet pattern for small children. Now I need some medium sized puppets!!! (ideal for the average hand!) Thanks so much for linking Stitch11!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the pattern! Your lion is so cute!

      Delete
  2. What a funny idea. I love it.
    Have a nice weekend.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are ADORABLE!! :) I'll have to try this! Such a good idea. And I would totes come to a puppet show masterminded by Lily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I had so much fun with these, I want to make a smaller sized version for Sage! The puppet I made for Lily has already gone on many adventures with us as we run errands and go out to play. So far, they are holding up great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These puppets are really cute! I love the color combinations you used for them. Cool idea!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...