Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Owls and rainbow bags...

what I've been up to


I finished two great projects this week. I'm pretty proud of them.

 The bag is another one from Lucy at Attic 24. I think I've mentioned in the past how much I love her crochet patterns.

 The owl hat has the distinction of being the first crochet item I've ever sold. That's big for me because I've been pretty seriously thinking about selling my crochet through etsy or some such way. Having someone buy and appreciate what you've made is so extremely satisfying.

Attic 24 bag
 
 I love the bright happy colors of the bag. I love that there was no rhyme or reason to the color stripes. I love that I can take it to the Saturday market and fill it up with the treasures I find there.



 This bag is BIG. In fact, big is not a big enough word for this bag. Gigantic. That would be a good word. It's really TOO big to use as a daily purse... but I have been anyways because it's so awesomely colored. Sage fits in this purse. With a teddy bear or two for company. (Hey, she crawled into it, I didn't put her there.)

You can read about Lucy's bag and find the tutorial here or here. I have yet to put on the flowers because I got too distracted by wearing the bag to the market.

 The owl hat was super fun too. I'm totally in love with owls. And since I can sneeze and probably hit something owl related every time I go into a store now, I know I'm not the only one. These hats are all over etsy and pinterest. Isn't it cute?

Owl hat 1
 
 It's part of a much more owlish Halloween costume that my dear friend is making for her adorable daughter. She still had to wear it at the park this morning, even though it was sweating, holy moly hot outside.
Owl Hat in motion!
 
I didn't follow one single pattern, but I did use a few for inspiration. You can find them here and here.

For you yarn lovin' folks, I used Lily Sugar and Cream cotton yarn for the bag. I wanted it washable. My life is full of adventures, I need easy. I used plain Jain acrylic yarn for the hat. Wouldn't it be fun do do in some chunky, delicious yarn?

Summer's going by too fast. I don't have near enough time to crochet all the things I have saved up to do!! I wonder if there is a bachelor's degree in crochet that I could switch to for the fall? Would that fix the problem?

I linked this post to Hooking on Hump Day  Craft-O-Maniac Monday  Making the World Cuter Mondays  The Weekly Creative Link Party

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful bag, I love the colors you used.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being featured on Hookin On Hump Day! http://www.mooglyblog.com/hookin-on-hump-day-53/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tamara! You have no idea how excited I am!

      Delete
  4. So cute! The bag is adorable and I love the owl hat. Actually, I really love owls. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love owls too. I have made several versions of this hat and haven't gotten bored yet!

      Delete
  5. I was just wondering what yarn, how many different colors you used to make your beautiful bag. I have a girl friend who fell in love with it, when I saved the moogly post to my page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolinda,

      I used Lily Sugar and Cream 100% cotton in the following colors: Black Currant, Hot Blue, Mod Green, Hot Green, Hot Orange, Hot Pink, and Sunshine. I haven't been able to find Black Currant again locally, but I did find it on the Lily website.

      I haven't done it yet, but I plan to line the bag with fabric. It has some pretty impressive stretch to it- so far to date I've fit two throws, diapers, wipes, popcorn, juice boxes, yarn and hooks, and two stuffed animals in it all at once (for a movie night!) so I'm hoping the lining will stop me from over filling it and breaking down the yarn. I also want the lining to avoid losing things through the spaces.

      If you try it out, let me know! I would love to see your project! If you need some other inspiration and color combos, check out the Attic 24 group on Flickr.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much, I will make sure to let you know if I am able to give this bag a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...