Saturday, July 14, 2012

Watermelon cake and movies in the yard.

When I saw the all fruit cake over at See My Footprints, I fell in love. What an amazing alternative to sugar and frosting. It's been pinned so many times, but I couldn't really find anyone else who had tried it!

When my aunt asked me to bring a treat for her Movie in the Yard night, I knew what I was going to make.

Movie in the Yard night is a winner of an idea for some summer evening fun. It's like the drive-in, only on lawn chairs and blankets. They had a projector and screen set up complete with popcorn, candy, and other yummy snacks. We watched Despicable Me, a movie I will never get tired of.

"It's so fluffy, I'm gonna DIE!!!"

*snicker*

Anyway, so here's my cake made of watermelon and other assorted fruity magic.


The cake done at See My Footprints had the rind removed, but because there was going to be lots of kids and dark, I decided to leave the rind on. I also wanted it all sliced for ease of snacking. So I sliced a whole seedless watermelon and then rearranged the slices in staggered tiers just to make it look pretty. I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, and kiwi to decorate my cake.



As you can see, it was a little lopsided. I messed with it forever and just finally gave up. So the advice from me would be to make sure you cut your slices really, really straight. Doing the decorating was seriously the best. I think I ate as much fruit as I put on  the cake because it was all so fresh and tasty.


Lily helped me cut out the cantaloupe shapes. I found some plastic flower and heart cookie cutters in two sizes that I had bought to fancy up her peanut butter sandwiches. (Side note: has anyone else noticed that a simple PB&J with a bag of chips is not a cool enough lunch anymore? I should have never shown Lily the lunches over at Meet the Dubiens.)  As long as the melon wasn't more than about 3/4 inches thick, they handled it just fine and Lily could help. I would love to find some smaller cookie cutters that would work for the kiwis. 


I had absolutely no plan when it came down to a "design" for the cake. I am, and always will be, a woman who works better just winging it. The key here, is lots and lots of toothpicks. Which was handy because people re-used them as they were picking off fruit. I probably went a bit overboard with the toothpicks, but only because I had to transport the cake in the car and I did NOT want anything falling apart. 

It was a total hit. I was told it was adorable, a wonderful option for those on diets, and that I was very talented. Seriously, all the compliments were making my head swell. See My Footprints did her cake for her child's 1st birthday as an alternative to real cake, which I think is so very smart. Although, I do love a good messy toddler playing in cake at a party. There are several other versions of cakes that she has done as well. Check them out!


And there you have it. Watermelon "cake" that tastes delicious. I love finding new recipes and foodie projects for big group get togethers. With a huge family, it's good to have these things in your back pocket! ;) If you ever need a summer party idea, I'm telling you, try the movie outside idea. All you need is a projector and something to use as a screen. Oh, but watch out for ditches. Haha. Some of the boys were catching frogs and I suddenly had a very muddy, very wet Lily on my hands shortly before the movie started.   I was lucky to have an aunt who was nice enough to run home and grab a change of clothes so Lily didn't freeze. It wouldn't be a night out if Lily didn't do something crazy!

I have linked this post to...


The Shabby Nest    Home is where the heart is. - Link it up! - Wednesdays - HomesteadSimple.com

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic arrangment! I bet you're rapt with how it turned out and I would have loved to have seen your guests faces! :)

    Another thought I had was to use round biscuit (cookie) or scone cutter, and pop cylinders into cupcake papers, then decorate the top as usual... might give it a try one day!

    Thanks heaps for linking back to my original idea :) and for taking the time to post on my blog so I could see your awesome creation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Watermelon cupcakes would be fun! Good idea! And thanks for stopping by to take a look, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. ps I did manage to find some small cutters... are you in Aus? My local cake dec shop had some that came in a set, but I also get some from 'Sweet Themes' online. Just check the sizes on the item descriptions :) HTH

    http://www.sweetthemes.com.au/content/cms/CookieCutters/2809/
    (on the left hand-side menu under 'cookie cutters' is a pretty good list)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm in the US. I've been on Amazon quite a bit the last few days and filled up my wishlist with all sorts of cutters and crimpers though...I may have found a new obsession!

      Delete
  3. BEAUTIFUL "cake"!!!! Love how colorful it is with all the fresh fruit, really cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am sure I'll end up doing this at least one more time this summer. It turned out so well, I want to try it again!

      Delete
  4. That turned out lovely! I'm with you on the winging it and just seeing what you can come up with. I think sometimes that makes the project fun and non stressful because you were expecting it to turn out a certain way. ;) We'd love to have you link it up at our "Home is Where the Heart is" Link Party!
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-2/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...